History

Badamibagh Cantonment Board is an autonomous body under the control of Govt. of India, Ministry of Defence and discharges obligatory and discretionary functions as per the provisions of Cantonment Act, 2006. The Cantonment Act lays down both the mandatory and discretionary functions of the Board such as education, public health, sanitation, roads, street lighting and birth & death registration. The Badamibagh Cantonment is a class II Cantonment established in the year 1954, covering a total area of 1458.537 Acres including civil area of 313.50 Acres. As per Census figure of 2011, the total population in BB Cantt is 22,214. Before Independence, there were 81 Cantonments in the country, of which 56 accured to the Indian dominion after 15 Aug. 1947. Since then six stations have been declared as Cantts (including BB Cantt in 1954) taking the figure to 62. As on date, this is the only Cantonment in Northern Command.  Badamibagh Cantonment Board is divided into seven wards.